U.S. prosecutors seek to halt pretrial release of Uzbek terror suspect

U.S. prosecutors seek to halt pretrial release of Uzbek terror suspectThe U.S. Attorney's Office in Denver filed an emergency motion with the federal 10th Circuit Court of Appeals to halt the release of Jamshid Muhtorov. The motion came four days after U.S. District Judge John Kane granted a motion by Muhtorov for his release pending his trial, which is set for early next year.


Utah wildfire levels 13 homes, forces evacuation of 1,500 people

Utah wildfire levels 13 homes, forces evacuation of 1,500 peopleA fierce wildfire that has destroyed more than a dozen homes and forced the evacuation of 1,500 residents raged largely unchecked in southwestern Utah for an 11th day, as an army of firefighters struggled to corral the flames. As of Tuesday morning, the blaze had scorched nearly 50,000 acres, the bulk of that in the Dixie National Forest, with crews managing to carve containment lines around just 10 percent of the fire's perimeter, officials said. The fire erupted on June 17 near the ski resort of Brian Head, Utah, about 30 miles northeast of Zion National Park, and spread quickly as high winds drove flames into dense forests, threatening homes in nearby communities.


Cosby says he has no plans for 'sexual assault tour'

Cosby says he has no plans for 'sexual assault tour'LOS ANGELES/NEW YORK (Reuters) - Bill Cosby said on Tuesday he has no plans to hold town hall events to discuss sexual assault, days after his spokesman suggested the comedian planned a series of public talks to educate men about how to avoid false accusations. Cosby's spokesman, Andrew Wyatt, first put forward the idea for the town hall talks in an interview with a Birmingham, Alabama, TV station last week, five days after Cosby's sex assault trial ended in a hung jury. The proposal drew immediate criticism from a lawyer representing some of the dozens of women who have leveled sex assault accusations at the 79-year-old entertainer, whose long career was built on a family-friendly style of comedy.


Linde's Lincare settles U.S. whistleblower case for $20 million

Linde's Lincare settles U.S. whistleblower case for $20 millionThe accord, confirmed by the U.S. Attorney's Office in Massachusetts, will resolve a lawsuit filed under the False Claims Act by former employees of the respiratory therapy services provider on behalf of the U.S. government. "The matter was resolved to the satisfaction of all involved parties, with no admission of liability by any party," Lincare said in a statement.


Judge reopens case of Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport

Judge reopens case of Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passportA federal judge on Tuesday agreed to review the constitutionality of a U.S. State Department policy of refusing to grant passports to people who identify as neither male nor female. In November, U.S. District Judge R. Brooke Jackson directed the State Department to reconsider its "binary-only gender passport policy," in the case of Navy veteran Dan Zzyym, an “intersex” Colorado resident who sued the federal government for refusing to issue a passport because it requires an applicant to denote either male or female gender. After conducting its court-ordered review, the State Department last month again denied Zzyym’s application, according to a motion filed on the plaintiff's behalf by the Lambda Legal Defense Fund asking Jackson to reopen the case.


'Pharma bro' Martin Shkreli's notoriety slows New York jury selection

'Pharma bro' Martin Shkreli's notoriety slows New York jury selectionJury selection in the New York trial of former drug company executive Martin Shkreli will enter its third day Wednesday, after some potential jurors said they could not be fair to a man who gained notoriety by raising the price of a life-saving drug more than 5,000 percent. U.S. prosecutors have accused Shkreli, dubbed the "pharma bro," of running a Ponzi-like scheme at his former hedge fund and a drug company he once ran. Shkreli has pleaded not guilty to charges of securities and wire fraud.


Illinois House Democrats push new budget plan to end impasse

Illinois House Democrats push new budget plan to end impasseStaring down the start of a new fiscal year, Illinois House Democrats offered a budget on Tuesday that would spend less than the Republican governor's plan, but kept their specific revenue-raising proposal under wraps. An impasse between Governor Bruce Rauner and Democrats who control the legislature has left Illinois without complete budgets for an unprecedented two-straight fiscal years. The nearly $36.5 billion general funds budget was the first spending blueprint offered by House Speaker Michael Madigan for the fiscal year that begins Saturday.


Madoff settlements reach $12 billion with new accords

Madoff settlements reach $12 billion with new accordsThe trustee recouping money for Bernard Madoff's victims on Tuesday announced nearly $371 million of new settlements with two groups of offshore funds that invested with the imprisoned Ponzi schemer, boosting the total recovery to about $12 billion. Irving Picard, the trustee, said Lagoon Investment Ltd agreed to repay $240.7 million from an account through which Hermes International Fund Ltd invested with Madoff, while Thema Fund Ltd and an affiliate agreed to repay $130.1 million. Picard announced the settlements with British Virgin Islands-based Lagoon and Bermuda-based Thema one day after revealing more than $23 million of settlements with the estates of Madoff's late sons Andrew and Mark, and entities affiliated with the Madoff family.


Linde's Lincare settles U.S. whistleblower case for $20 million

Linde's Lincare settles U.S. whistleblower case for $20 millionThe accord, confirmed by the U.S. Attorney's Office in Massachusetts, will resolve a lawsuit filed under the False Claims Act by former employees of the respiratory therapy services provider on behalf of the U.S. government. "The matter was resolved to the satisfaction of all involved parties, with no admission of liability by any party," Lincare said in a statement.


Lockdown lifted at Alabama base after false reports of shooter

Lockdown lifted at Alabama base after false reports of shooterNo threat was found and an investigation is under way to determine who made the calls from within a building where the shooter was reported to have been, Colonel Thomas Holliday, commander of the Redstone Arsenal, said at a press conference. "We have no evidence of shots actually (being) fired," Holliday said. Neither of those were credible, Holliday said.